Friday, May 9, 2008

May 9, 2008, In his own words

Hello Family and Friends

Robin wrote the following in an email to a friend.

My sternum is healing now as I can feel more support in the chest if I cough. Last three days have been very good -- walked about 2.5 kilometers yesterday although the last .5km was a bit slow with the old folks blowing by me but they were cheating as they had walkers with wheels!!

Picked up the cat the other day (about 10lbs) -- they're right about the 10 pound limit because I could feel the pull picking up the cat so not even testing any strength because I've read about people popping their sternums 3-4 weeks after surgery by doing stupid things (ie. one guy was driving and got in bad parking spot, had to turn wheel lock to lock several times to get out and ended up popping his sternum and throwing himself back several weeks in repairs).

Wakefulness is pretty good -- not nearly as tired as I was though a busy day usually means some form of resting next day. Attention span is still a bit limited-- find that though I sit down to attempt read something I'm just not ready to focus any length of time to really get started (they said it would be a bit like that, short attention, more a want to do something but can't settle long enough to really do anything) -- watched a few movies but find sometimes even though a good movie I lose some interest about an hour into it and put it away then come back and watch ending later.

Off the prescription pain killers -- just take a couple Tylenol occasionally now -- would describe it as moving from pain to more of 'some level of occasional discomfort' -- can't lie on side yet without feeling pressure in centre of chest but getting up and down from chair or bed is vastly improved from a couple weeks ago. Getting in/out of a car is still a bit slow because of being scrunched up a bit with car seating.

Generally doing pretty good considering how it's only just over three weeks ago they had me busted open on the table - incredible what they can do.

Ed. OK Robin, enough of the scarey stuff.

Take care


April

No comments: